FORMER TVW TECHNICIAN who became the SEVEN NETWORK – HEAD OF DRAMA
Alan Bateman was a technician at TVW during the early years. He can be seen here wiring up technical power points in the TVW maintenance area.
Alan was appointed Technical Director of the 1962 Commonwealth and Empire Games at Perry Lakes Stadium. He later joined the Southampton Southern TV, and on his return to Perth joined the ABC and married former TVW children’s hostess Judy Lee, who by now was a presenter on ABW Channel 2.
Alan Bateman moved into the production field, working his way up the ranks to became ABC head of programming, before moving to the Seven Network to take up the post of head of drama.
After letting Neighbours slip through its fingers in 1985, only to see it gain considerable popularity both here on Network Ten and abroad, the Seven Network was determined to get a teen drama of its own off the ground.
The concept for Home and Away was born when Alan Bateman stopped to buy ice-creams in a small country town in Southern NSW and got chatting to some locals, who were unhappy about a home for foster kids from the city being built in their town. Struck by the potential for plenty of storylines and conflict, with city kids being relocated to a different environment, he went off to develop the idea which eventually became Home And Away.
Alan Bateman has been a prolific producer for the Seven Network, Nine Network and the ABC.
- Elly and Jools (1990) (TV) – (executive producer) 9 Network
- Ring of Scorpio (1990) (TV) – (executive producer) 9 Network
- Family and Friends (1990) TV series – (executive producer) 9 Network
- The Rainbow Warrior Conspiracy (1989) (TV) – (executive producer) 7 Network
- The Flying Doctors – (executive producer) (1 episode, 1989)
- Point of No Return (1989) TV episode – (executive producer)
- Home and Away (1988-1990) TV series – (executive producer) 7 Network
- The Fremantle Conspiracy (1988) (TV) – (executive producer) 7 Network
- Barracuda (1988) (TV) – (producer) 7 Network… aka The Rocks (USA)
- Nancy Wake (1987) (TV) – (executive producer) 7 Network… aka True Colors (USA: video box title)
- Melba (1987) TV mini-series – (executive producer) 7 Network
- Journey into India (1986) – (co-producer) ABC
- Journey Into Thailand (1982) – (co-producer) ABC
- In The Wild (1976-79) – (writer/director/co-producer) ABC… Series of wildlife documentaries, presented by Harry Butler.
- Peach’s Australia – Darling River (1976) – (executive producer) ABC
- Peach’s Australia – Flinders Ranges (1976) – (executive producer) ABC
- In The Public Interest (1973) – (Producers: Alan Bateman, Bruce Buchanan) ABC… Dramatisations of various Royal Commission enquiries.
- Profiles of Power, HC Coombs (1961) – (producer) ABC
- The Power, the Passion (1989) TV series – (creator)
- Home and Away (1988) TV series – (unknown episodes)
Alan and Judy’s daughter, Anna Bateman is now an executive producer with the ABC, responsible for such projects as The Pet Show, Saving Andrew Mallard, Young Performers Awards 2008 and Can We Help, before moving to Melbourne with her son, to take the reins of Aunty’s national Sunday Arts show, hosted by Michael Veitch.